Parent gift guide: What they need but won't buy.
It's hard to find words to describe the experience of parenting. It's a wild ride, beautiful, challenging and rewarding. So, when we are looking at gifts for the parents in our lives, we want them to be meaningful and something that will hopefully make the wild ride a little easier.
With that said, finding the perfect gift can be tricky. Do you buy for them? For the little one? A combination?
The key is to focus on the things that they wouldn't buy for themselves.
We've rounded up some of our top picks in this parent gift guide to help you.
1. On Table High Chair
The Inglesina Fast Table Chair is the gift that keeps giving. Getting to a restaurant can be difficult when you have a little one, but this portable table chair makes it much more manageable.
The award-winning design attaches to any restaurant or home table without leaving any scratches or damage. Suitable for kiddos between 6 and 36 months, the table chair allows children to feel included and encourages autonomy.
Fewer germs, convenient, and travel friendly – this chair ticks all the boxes.
2. A Hidden Diaper Bag
We've come a long way since carrying bags with little baby animals on them. Now, parents can look stylish all while carrying diapers, poop bags, snacks, and everything else needed when leaving the house with bub.
Here are some fun and stylish options any parent would be proud to carry.
- La Madison Elegant Vegan Leather Diaper Bag Backpack – Perfect for Mom or Dad, this backpack has insulated pockets to keep bottles warm and seven interior pockets to keep everything organized.
- Lululemon New Parent Backpack – Made for parents on the go, this stylish option is made from water-repellent fabric and features a removable pouch that can be worn as a cross-body for added comfort.
- Kate Spade Chelsea Baby Bag – Designed to be as pretty as a purse, no one would ever know this was a diaper bag. However, functionality is not compromised, with plenty of space and pockets for three changes of clothes (perfect for those unexpected accidents).
- Parker Baby Co Birch Bag Diaper Backpack – Classic and neutral, this backpack includes insulated bottle pockets, a mesh organizer for diapers and wipes, and a padded laptop/tablet sleeve.
- Tush Baby Totebaby – This versatile tote can be your bag of tricks. Diaper bag, grocery bag, yoga bag, whatever you need, the Totebaby has you covered. With a removable changing pad, organizers, and dividers, this bag gives you excellent flexibility and functionality.
3. A Spa Day
This might seem obvious, but that's because it is such a great gift. New parents aren't likely to splurge on a spa day. Especially knowing they have to find a sitter. So, gift them with both!
Research your local beauty salons and spas and select a treatment session that you think they will enjoy, or you could purchase a gift card so they can choose an option that appeals to them. Step two – organize care for the little one, so they don't even have to think about it! Either offer to play sitter for the day yourself or arrange a local service to come and provide care.
Self-care is essential and often neglected. This thoughtful gift offers valuable "me time" and a moment to care for themselves guilt-free.
4. Comfy Clothes
Between breastfeeding and adjusting to a new body shape, comfort is key when it comes to clothing. A soft and cozy robe, athleisure wear, or yoga apparel for nursing mothers are excellent choices and are sure to be well-worn and appreciated.
There are many options to choose from, but here are two great businesses founded by mothers who understand the value of comfort.
- Sweat and Milk – Offers a great range of stylish and functional nursing active clothing solutions.
- Posh Peanut – This business has something for everyone: family matching options, luxurious robes, and a collection of loungewear sure to please.
5. Sentimental Jewelry
Whether it's a bracelet with their child's name or a necklace with the birthdate on it, jewelry is a gift that is weighted with meaning. Personalized, thoughtful, and full of sentimentality, these are cherished gifts that last a lifetime.
While there are many stunning designs to choose from, we love these handmade options from Etsy.
6. The Gift of Sleep
Having a decent night of sleep would have to be at the top of every parent’s wish list. Sleep is a developmental process for little ones, and it is natural for them to wake up and seek the comfort of their caregivers. The sense of touch is powerful and scientifically proven to help infants feel safe, calm, and comforted. That’s where the Snuggy Buddy comes in!
The Snuggy Buddy Wearable Lovey Blanket features a gently weighted plush butterfly lovey that is safely attached at chest height so a baby can self-soothe. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends keeping the crib clear of any blankets, toys, or pillows to decrease the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). So the Snuggy Buddy is uniquely designed to allow little ones to safely enjoy the comfort of a lovey and drift sweetly back to sleep independently.
It’s the perfect gift to give the parents in your life, so everyone in the family gets some much-needed rest.
Pediatric Sleep Consultants
Navigating sleep with little ones can be tricky. Every child is unique, and having an expert in your corner can be highly beneficial to help establish healthy sleep habits. The gift of a one-on-one session or training course with a sleep consultant could be the key to supporting solid sleep foundations for years to come.
Here are three highly trained professional sleep consultants that we recommend.
- Bella Luna Family – Offers support in the areas of sleep, behavior, lactation, and potty training. From newborns through to big kids, Bella Luna Family has support options to suit every family.
- Sleep Easy Consulting – Kensey uses a developmental approach in supporting sleep with courses and coaching adapted to your little one's age and personality.
- My Sweet Sleeper – With a focus on providing highly individualized support, My Sweet Sleeper offers one-on-one personalized coaching and virtual sleep classes tailored to your family’s needs. In addition, they extend the opportunity to connect with other parents in group coaching sessions where you can benefit from a community of support.
The Gift of Kindness, Empathy, and Compassion
Nothing can prepare you for parenthood. It is a time of wonder, joy, and simultaneously, selflessness and exhaustion. Offering a gift that recognizes the special role of parents is great, but it is worthwhile remembering that the gift of human connection may be the greatest gift of all. Although it is unlikely to appear on any parent gift guide, being present, understanding, and providing emotional support is invaluable and should never be underestimated.
Enjoy this holiday season and spoil the parents in your life. They deserve it!
Leave a comment